Friday, July 8, 2016

Broccoli-Cheddar Toast

I'm always on the look-out for easy dinners, and as I've been eating this so often as of late, I decided I should broaden my horizons and started paging through cookbooks for new solutions. I shouldn't be surprised, but I stumbled upon a delicious new-to-me recipe in my favorite old cookbook Simple Suppers, put out by The Moosewood Restaurant. For those of you who are not familiar, this cookbook is largely vegetarian, but also includes a section for fish. I have never made something I didn't like from this book, and the broccoli-cheddar toast is no exception. I modified the recipe very slightly, opting for regular organic broccoli instead of broccolini and horseradish cheddar instead of regular cheddar. I really liked the extra bite from the horseradish, but I'm fairly certain this would be good with any cheese that will melt under a broiler. Ingredient list and method below, for those interested...




Ingredients:
-1 crown or fresh pkg. broccoli, chopped
-3 cloves garlic
-2 tsp. olive oil
-salt and pepper
-2 whole wheat bread slices
-3 oz. horseradish cheddar
-Dijon mustard

Method:
-Add the olive oil to a large frying pan set to medium heat, and saute the chopped broccoli and garlic for about five minutes. Season liberally with salt and pepper, add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and steam until you can no longer see any water. 
-Meanwhile, toast the bread slices and cut the horseradish cheddar into thin slices. When your bread pops up, spread a good amount of Dijon mustard on both slices. Turn on the broiler. 
-Top your mustard-y toasts with broccoli and cheddar. Broil until the cheese has melted and has some delicious bubbly brown spots. 

I made a soft-boiled egg and sliced some tomatoes to make this a full meal, but believe me when I say it's good as is. I can't wait to make this again. Have a great weekend!

P.S: Links to some other Simple Suppers recipes I've shared on the blog below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment