Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Greek Antipasto Pitas

Good Morning :) Unfortunately, I wasn't able to visit North Carolina with the rest of the family, but I did enjoy a nice, quiet and relaxing weekend at home. I got just a little bit jealous when I started seeing the pictures - especially those Duck Donuts!! But I survived by taking a trip to good old Dunkin D's. I hope you enjoyed the Easter holiday!

I feel like I've been posting a lot of recipes for sugary treats on here lately, which is a little weird considering that I don't even have a very big sweet tooth. So, today I thought I would share with you a recipe that I really consider to be a "go-to" when it comes to dinner: Greek antipasto pitas.


This recipe comes from the Moosewood Restaurant's cookbook Simple Suppers, which I also referenced waaaaay back in July when I made their Potato Salad with Green & White Beans. I use this cookbook more often than any other in my possession, and consider it to be a great investment. I should tell you ahead of time that it is largely vegetarian (although there is one fish section) and that I have never made something from this book that I didn't like. Go here to take a look. :)

Ingredients:
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1 teaspoon dried oregano or dill (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
-1 celery stalk
-1 (large) tomato
-1/2 red bell pepper
-1 cucumber
-1/4 red onion
-8 pitted kalamata olives
-feta cheese
-salt & pepper
-pita breads or tortillas

Directions:
-In a medium bowl or tupperware container, stir together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic and herb of your choice. Add the vegetables to the mix as you prepare them:
    -celery stalk: diced
    -tomato: largely de-seeded, diced
    -red bell pepper: diced
    -cucumber: peeled, de-seeded, diced
    -red onion: minced
    -olives: chopped
-Stir, season with salt and pepper to taste and allow to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
-To serve, spoon into your pitas (or tortillas) and top with the feta.


If I'm making these for dinner I almost always buy sweet potato fries or taters to accompany them, but they would also be good with rice or quinoa. Alternatively, I have taken this to multiple parties as a salsa with tortilla chips and it always goes over well. :) Enjoy! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment