Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Rickett's Glen...Again!

This past Saturday I awoke early, early and drove two hours north on route 15 to meet a good friend from college. Ashley and I graduated from Bloomsburg University together in 2008, and have kept loosely in touch ever since. She is one of those great friends who you may not see very often, but who you pick right back up with, as if no time at all has gone by. Shortly after arriving, we hopped into her car, made a quick pit stop at Bloomin' Bagels, and made the half hour trek up to Rickett's Glen.


I blogged about our kayaking day trip last year, and oddly enough, we picked (almost) the exact same weekend this year. There were a few scattered drops of rain to start out, but luckily the skies cleared and we had nearly perfect (albeit slightly chilly!) weather. I can't tell you how much I recommend giving kayaking a try. I ended up braving the potential disaster and took my camera along for the ride to take the pictures below. But! I missed capturing the most exciting sight: a rare bald eagle taking flight and soaring over the lake. I don't know about you, but to me, the bald eagle seems more like a symbol than a real, living bird. Even though it was far away, it was a pretty awesome sight.

[I have about a million pictures that look like this, but I love the way the boat looks cutting through the water. In my head, I was singing...I look once more, just around the river bend! Beyond the shore, where the gulls fly free..." Frozen, schmozen. I love Pocahontas.]




[Can't think of a much better way to catch up with a friend!]




After docking our boats (impressively, right on time) we headed ten minutes down the road for a quick hike. The Evergreen Trail is not long, but as its name suggests, it is green. I couldn't stop taking pictures in these beautiful woods. 




[I love this one.]





The start of the trail is marked by a beautiful waterfall and pool. We stuck our feet in and had a quick snack before heading into Benton to check out a few antique stores, and then Bloomsburg for a delicious lunch of fish & chips and soda. It was a great trip, and I'm already looking forward to a return visit. Thanks for hosting, Ashley!

And until next time, Rickett's Glen!

In Case you Missed it (State Park Edition):

No comments:

Post a Comment