Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Little Buffalo!

I've written about a fair amount of state parks this summer (here and here) but if I'm being totally honest with you, Little Buffalo is my favorite. A few years ago I had a much different job, and during the summers I spent a lot of time outside with children (or child, as it were). This can be a whole lot of fun, but also really tiresome by the time you get to August and the days are scorching hot and overwhelmingly humid. And so, I always looked forward to the Little Buffalo field trip. The pool here is so perfect for kids, as it starts shallow and gradually slopes until it's deep enough for slides and diving. Plus, there is what I would term a splash pad right beside the pool that is so much fun. We took Sommer this past Saturday (the last "real" weekend of summer!), and all had a great time. (P.S. - it is only $6 admission!)

The pool.

Mushrooms.

The splash pad.
I love watching dads with their young kids on this splash pad! It is seriously like watching someone go from the age of forty to the age of eleven in thirty seconds.

Tipping buckets.
Sommer sat transfixed for a few moments watching these buckets spill. 
"Blue"..."Red"..."Yellow"...

Slide.

Picnic peanut butter.

I like sweet potato chips a little too much for my own good.


Time to swim! Looking a little nervous...

A little unsure of the weird contraption...

...pelted with water...

...thinks it's funny and goes back for more.

I always bring a cookbook to the pool, and Saturday's choice was You Be Sweet by Patsy Caldwell and Amy Lyles Wilson. Here I am reading about donut bread pudding. Yes, donut bread pudding.

Cute little squirty guy.

Dani and Sommer. :)

Wound up for a bit.

But immediately asleep!

We had a great day, and really perfect weather. I go swimming very rarely these days, so it was nice to have a day where you really had to get in. If you're interested in reading a little more about the park and what it has to offer (boating! fishing! exercise trail!), go here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment