Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Every time I make something in the crock pot, I'm reminded of that annoying infomercial where the guy keeps telling you to: "SET IT! and FORGET IT!" But the truth, of course, is that during a busier than normal week, being able to set it and forget it can be a real life saver.


This week I knew that I was going to have a couple of late nights, so I turned to my book for this slow-cooker pulled pork recipe. I measured out the spices the night before, and despite being a few minutes behind schedule on Monday morning, was able to get this all ready to go just before I popped out the door at 7:15. We used the pork to make tacos and served them with minute rice, but feel free to get creative.

Ingredients:
-2 cups jarred salsa + more to serve (I like fresh to serve)
-2 tablespoons chili powder
-2 tablespoons dried oregano
-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
-2.5 lb. boneless pork butt or shoulder
-corn tortillas
-cilantro
-sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
-1 lime
-salt/pepper/brown sugar

Directions:
-Combine the salsa, chili powder, oregano and cocoa powder in the bowl of your slow cooker. Season with salt, pepper and brown sugar to taste. Add the pork and turn to coat.
-Cook on high for four hours or low for eight hours. Shred, then pile onto tortillas with fresh salsa, lime juice, cilantro and plain Greek yogurt.

Looks like wood chips, but tastes delicious. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment