Thursday, November 20, 2014

ginger orange tea

A few years ago, I spotted this recipe in my newest Moosewood cookbook and decided to give it a try. Since then, it's been my go-to hot drink on chilly nights when all we want to do is snuggle up under a blanket and read a good book or watch a favorite movie. It's also the perfect drink to make when you're feeling a little under the weather.


Ginger Orange Tea
From Moosewood Restaurant Cooking For Health

1 rounded TBSP grated peeled ginger root
1 C water
1 C orange juice
1 TBSP lemon juice
1-2 TBSP honey

In a small saucepan, bring grated ginger and water to almost boiling, then cover and steep for at least five minutes. Strain the ginger tea using a fine-meshed strainer, pressing the liquid out of the grated ginger with the back of a spoon.

Stir together the orange juice, lemon juice, honey, and ginger tea. Reheat for a hot beverage, or chill and add ice.

Notes: I never grate the ginger because it's too much of a mess to clean up - just cut it into small pieces and let it steep for 8-10 minutes (or however long you like!) instead of 5. Since I don't have a true fine-meshed strainer, I've improvised using my sifter or a colander with smaller holes.  If you're really careful when you peel and cut up the ginger, you could even just spoon out the ginger pieces and any bits that surface - if you just cut it up. If you do decide to grate it, you'll definitely need the fine-meshed strainer or some cheese cloth. I usually make a quadruple batch and store it in large mason jars in the refrigerator for enjoying all week.


I think you'll really like this one.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!  Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment