Thursday, June 12, 2014

late spring/early summer mantel

After graduating from college as an art history major, I was consistently asked the same thing: "Who is your favorite artist?" I never knew how to answer this question, because, goodness, there are just so many great artists to choose from. Ultimately, I went with the same answer - "Vermeer" - simply because it was one of his paintings that first interested me in the subject. 

Choosing a favorite flower is similarly difficult. How can I pick a favorite when there are options like lilacs, roses, ranunculus, grape hyacinth, poppies and snap dragons? But if I had to choose a favorite, was really being forced to do so - I would probably go with peonies. My mom has had these beautiful flowers planted in her yard for as long as I can remember. Growing up, I would sit and watch fat black ants crawl in and out of the pink crevices, only chancing a quick sniff when I was sure I wouldn't get one up my nose. And nowadays, as soon as they start to bloom, I pop over for a visit and clip a few to brighten up (and freshen up!) the living room.


I've posted about my mantel before, but I've since rearranged a little, making my favorite flower front and center. Together with a lovely framed photograph (taken my my talented brother-in-law, Matt), some candles, Brigid's deer figurines (found at a vintage shop up the road) and my little elephant vase, they make for the perfect late spring/early summer decoration.



What is your favorite flower?

No comments:

Post a Comment