Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Artisan Toast

For me, the ultimate comfort food is buttered toast. That is to say, white bread liberally slathered with salted butter. All throughout childhood and even into adulthood, buttered toast has come to the rescue when I'm feeling sick, tired, homesick, down or even just when I'm out of most other food. In fact, despite toast's typical classification in the breakfast category, I've pretty much re-labeled it as an all-day food.


Despite this, lately I've been on a bit of a toast-for-breakfast kick but with one exception: I've been avoiding the butter. Instead, I've been opting for ingredients like ricotta cheese, fruit and almonds, avocado and sea salt, or my personal favorite (shown below): hummus, greens, egg and siracha. I didn't think much of my toast habit, until a friend mentioned that artisan toast (basically, fancified toast) is a definite thing right now. And when I looked it up, I found restaurant after restaurant that featured some variation of my arguably mundane breakfast meal.

It is actually kind of pretty in the right light. :)


So, if you're looking for a way to spice up your breakfast go ahead and add anything and everything to a typical piece of toasted bread. And if you're looking for inspiration, click here for some pretty great ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment