Monday, May 6, 2013

i heart musicals...really

Happy Monday to you!  What were you up to over the weekend?  I can't tell you how great it's been to have everyone back under one roof.  We spent Saturday cleaning up and doing some laundry and mowing the grass, and then Sunday was church and a 1st birthday party for our little buddy Levi, and then finally a night out for Will and I.  We went to see Iron Man 3 (WOW!) and then got some dinner before heading home.  It was nice to spend some time with just the two of us after being away for two whole weeks.  

So today I thought I better let you in on a little secret....one that was left out of both of my confessions posts.....  

I love musicals.  

Yes, really.  

I'm a little bit embarrassed to admit it, but I think it's time you knew.  Ever since I went to my first high school musical production, I've been seriously in love with them.  I had some amazingly talented friends in high school and seeing them up there on stage singing and dancing just completely mesmerized me.  Yes it's weird that they break out into song at strange moments, but say what you will, for better or worse, I am a musical lover.  There, I said it.  In fact, I consider one of my life's greatest disappointments to be the fact that I cannot sing.  You know who I blame for that?  My parents.  Well, specifically my dad.  That man can't hold a tune to save his life. (Sorry dad, but you know it's true.  I still love hearing you sing Edelweiss though.)  If I could sing, you know where I'd be right now?  

I'd be playing Elphaba in Wicked and touring with the National Company.  (Kiss me goodbye, I'm defying gravity!)

Yes, really.  

Have you seen Wicked?


Image

When we flew out to Denver for my sister-in-law's wedding several years ago, she got us tickets to see Wicked.  I didn't know anything about it, hadn't heard the story or anything.  And let me tell you, it was the best show I've ever seen.  Donna Vivino played Elphaba, and she completely blew me (and the rest of the audience) away.  Ridiculous.  I loved the show so much, I made Will go see it with me again when the it came to Richmond a couple years ago.  Donna Vivino was still touring but much to my dismay, she didn't perform the Richmond shows.  But it was still amazing. I've seen a few others including Cats and Rent, but nothing, so far, has compared to Wicked.  (It's coming back to Richmond in the Spring of 2014.  If I could buy tickets now, I would.)

Why am I telling you all of this?  One of my childhood friends is an amazingly talented musician, and this weekend he's coming to Richmond as a member of the pit for the touring company of West Side Story (how cool is that?!).  So Will and I got tickets because this is the perfect opportunity to catch up with him and simultaneously feed my unhealthy obsession with musicals.  (I've even watched the super cheesy ABC Family Original Christmas musicals.....and secretly loved them, too.  It's bad!)  I am far too excited about seeing the show and am already daydreaming about how amazing it's going to be.  When I was a junior in high school (I think it was that year), my high school group did West Side Story and I vaguely remember the plot.  This week I'll be reading up a little bit so I have an idea of what's going on.  

Image

So.....now you know.  Also, I may or may not have lost hours of my life sitting in front of YouTube watching videos of Wicked performances.  (Did you watch that?  Gives me chills every time.  Ok, you can stop laughing at me now.)  I can't guarantee that, come next Monday, I won't be losing hours searching out amazing performances from West Side Story.  I have a weakness.  I admit it.  

Ok, I think that's enough for now.  If you need me, I'll be in my bedroom, broom in hand, flying high as Elphaba in the 2014 touring cast of Wicked.  Hey, a girl can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment