Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Duets

Eclectic. Do you know the word? Did I just insult your intelligence? It means that you derive your tastes from a broad and diverse range of sources. I learned the definition for this word long ago, the first time that I watched my favorite movie of all time: Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit.


In the movie, Sister Mary Clarence explains to her pack of students that her taste in music is eclectic: "I like lots of different types of music. Opera, Rock & Roll, Rap. I like it all,"  she says. This is also how I would describe my tastes in music. Although I do have favorites (Britney Spears, Dave Matthews Band, Blake Shelton, to name a few), I wouldn't say that I listen to one type predominantly, and I certainly do not discriminate against the mainstream.

But recently, I've been going through this thing where I am obsessed with duets, or performances by two people (okay, that time I really did insult your intelligence). And particularly, male/female duets because, you know, they tend to be the most gut-wrenching or emotional ones; the best ones to really belt out when you're chopping vegetables for dinner at the end of the day. So! I'm making you a playlist of some of my favorites. There are some real oldies on here, but the two current ones are the ones that started this whole obsession in the first place. So if you're short on time, or just microwaving a Lean Cuisine for dinner, only listen to the first two -- Christina & Blake's Just a Fool and then Pink & Nate Ruess' Just Give Me a Reason. Right now, as I type this, I a listening to them on repeat - that's just how good they are. ;)

**Disclaimer: I do not know the difference between a duet and a feature. I started to look it up, but it looked super complicated and I lost interest. So, there might be some on here that are more feature than duet. (You will just have to deal with it; sorry:)

"Just a Fool" - Christina Aguilera w/Blake Shelton
I saw this performed live on The Voice last season and haven't been able to forget it since. Is it just me, or does Blake Shelton not look like his singing voice??

Just Give Me a Reason (feat. Nate Ruess) by P!nk on Grooveshark
"Just Give Me a Reason" - Pink w/Nate Ruess
This song is pretty heartbreaking if you listen to the lyrics, but it's so darn catchy!   

  Dilemma (Ft Kelly Rowland) by Nelly on Grooveshark
"Dilemma" - Nelly w/Kelly Rowland
This throwback has the uncanny ability to transport me back to 2002.

   Someday We'll Know (feat. Jonathan Foreman) by Mandy Moore on Grooveshark
"Someday We'll Know" - Mandy Moore w/Jonathan Foreman
This song was originally done by New Radicals, and honestly, I like that version slightly better. That being said, I like this song better as a duet and I love the way Mandy Moore says "dancing on the moon."  

  Not Too Much to Ask by Joe Diffie/Mary Chapin Carpenter on Grooveshark
"Not Too Much to Ask" - Mary Chapin Carpenter w/Joe Diffie
Mary Chapin Carpenter's Come On Come On was the first tape (that's right, TAPE) that I ever bought. This song also sounds like something that would be playing in the background of a particularly heart-wrenching love scene on Dawson's Creek; just one more reason to love it. :)

  Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (feat. Stevie Nicks) by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers on Grooveshark
"Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" - Stevie Nicks w/Tom Petty
Classic.

Empire State of Mind (feat. Alicia Keys) by Jay-Z on Grooveshark
  "Empire State of Mind" - Jay-Z w/Alicia Keys
This has to be one of the greatest rap/R&B collaborations ever, no? Scott hates rap, but he likes this song because, as he describes it, "New York is so cocky."

  House of Love by Amy Grant; Vince Gill on Grooveshark
  "House of Love" - Amy Grant w/Vince Gill
Sounds like the nineties!!

So there you have it! Any suggestions to further my duet obsession?? I would looove to hear. :)


P.S.: You can really listen to all of the songs.
P.P.S.: Image here.

No comments:

Post a Comment