Monday, February 11, 2013

Theme Week: Valentine's Day

Good morning!  How was your weekend?  I caught up with a good friend over lunch on Saturday, and we got to play outside with our neighbors for a bit yesterday which is always fun.

This week, as the title suggests, we're talking about Valentine's Day.  I've never really made a big deal of Valentine's Day.  Will and I get each other something and we get the kids a little something, but I don't make heart-shaped anything or buy conversation hearts (eww) or decorate the house or generally do anything out of the ordinary.  Goodness...written out like, it that makes me think I definitely need to do more!  But the one thing I've always done with Tommy is make our own Valentine's for him to take to school.  Some mom's make Halloween costumes.....I make Valentine's.  Very, very simple Valentine's.  This year, I asked him if he wanted to make his own or buy some from the store, and much to my surprise, he decided again that he wanted to make them.  So I got some construction paper, and we got to work.  

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I traced hearts and cars onto different colored construction paper.

 Then Tommy and Will cut them all out.

Next, Tommy glued the small hearts onto the big hearts (for the girls!) and the cars (for the boys!).

And that was all we could handle over the weekend, but in the next couple days he'll write his classmates names on the front, sign his name on the back, and tape some stickers and a pencil to the back.  See?  SUPER simple.  As I've mentioned here before, I'm not very crafty, but I can manage some hearts and cars.  Unfortunately, we're not allowed to send any type of food into school these days due to all the allergies that kids are dealing with.  I don't remember any of my classmates having peanut allergies (or any other allergies for that matter) when I was a kid, and now it seems like every other child has some sort of life-threatening allergy.  Scary.

What kind of Valentine crafts do you get into?  If you have school-aged kids, do you make or buy Valentine's for them to take to school?
Stay tuned this week for other Valentine's Day crafts, a day of recipes on Thursday, and Valentine's Day themed Photo Friday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment