Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Seasonal {Summer} Snack: Lemon Zucchini Loaf

I feel like I am starting to push it a little here, continuing on with these summer suppers and snacks and side-dishes. But technically I have until September 21st, and frankly, I am having a hard time letting summer go.


Don’t get me wrong – I love fall. Love, loave, luff, LURVE fall. But my-oh-my am I going to miss the fruits and vegetables of summer. I also came to the rather stark realization that, given the temperature drop as of Monday, I am likely not going to be warm again until next May.  No extra comment on that.

When I read this recipe, I decided that I liked it for its lack of chocolate. Certainly if you came to my door offering chocolate zucchini bread, I would NEVER turn you down...

especially if it's this one - seriously how delicious does this look?
...but over here lemon wins over chocolate every time. Eat this loaf cake with your after-work coffee/tea (if you're Carrie) or by the handful at midnight when you can’t sleep (if you're Scott).

Here is what you will need:
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 eggs
-1/2 cup canola oil
-2/3 cup sugar
-1/2 cup buttermilk
-Juice of 2 lemons (separated)
-Zest of 1 lemon
-1 cup grated zucchini
-1 cup powdered sugar

Here is how you will make this:
-Preheat your oven 350▫. Butter and flour a 9x5 loaf pan (or line it with parchment paper).
-In a bowl, blend the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
-In a second bowl, beat the two eggs. Add the canola oil and sugar and blend well.
-Add the buttermilk, juice of one of the lemons and the lemon zest to the bowl. Mix.
-Add the grated zucchini and blend until you have a well-incorporated mixture.

-Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones that you set aside. Mix just until you fail to see dry bits of flour.
-Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. A skewer inserted in the center of the loaf should come out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

-While the loaf is cooling, mix the remaining lemon juice with the powdered sugar until you have a thin glaze. Pour over the cooled loaf and allow to set before serving.

Delicious! And even better the second day. Make sure to stop by next Wednesday for the FINAL edition of Summer Suppers! I might even call it an Indian Summer Supper. :) Until then...<3

Original zucchini loaf recipe here. As pinned by my sister Dani. Thanks Dane :)

No comments:

Post a Comment