Friday, November 16, 2018

a snowy november day

What started out as a perfectly beautiful, cold November morning; quickly became an incredibly snowy afternoon.  We had our first big snowfall of the season yesterday and I don't think anyone was prepared for what we got.  I read this morning that police were having to wake up stranded drivers on a couple of our highways!  Crazy.  I can't even imagine being stuck in my vehicle for several hours, let alone all night long.  

I don't know about you, but I don't typically get my kids snow gear in order until a little later in the winter season and had grand plans to have new snow boots waiting for them under the Christmas tree on Christmas morning this year.  With the looming snowstorm, I realized I needed to scratch that idea and grab them a pair early.  Well, as most weeks do, this one got away from me and I found myself running out at noon yesterday, just before the snow started to fall, to find boots.  2 hours, 5 stores, and several inches of snow later, Sommer and I were heading home with only one pair of boots (why are size 6 toddler boy boots non-existent?!).  With the roads quickly worsening, I decided to take the slightly longer but significantly less hilly way home.  The thing is, we live on a hill so the only way to get home is to go up...and our new van is proving not to really like going up on snow covered roads.  Yep, we got stuck.  Thankfully not for too long but backing down a snow-covered hill with a scared 6 year old in the back seat is not something I hope to have to do again.  We proceeded to sit in a parking lot for 10 minutes to collect ourselves and then try another (hilly) way home.  Thankfully, the second time, on a significantly less traveled hill, our van pulled through.  I have to say though, I'm seriously considering trading this van in for something with 4wd.  

Once we were safely home and snug in our house and after getting the kiddos dressed to go play in the snow with daddy; I decided the only thing that could redeem this crazy afternoon was my favorite winter meal - Dinner A Love Story's Chicken Pot Pie.  There's just nothing like it and it's the perfect ending to a cold, snowy night.  



I know that winter is hard for a lot of people.  It's cold and dark and can make you feel kinda blah.  But, I am coming to love winter more and more.  Finding recipes that bring comfort, wearing warm socks, lighting candles and hanging twinkly lights - all these things have helped me to embrace the colder and darker days of the year.


The joy that this weather brings to these two also helps tremendously.  This morning we all got to stay home (perks of having a husband who works in a school), have our traditional snow day cinnamon buns, and now my snow babes and Matt are out sledding and enjoying this beautiful day together.  I'm off to get the hot cocoa ready for their return.  

Have a great weekend everyone!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment