Monday, November 19, 2018

a little gratitude

Are you guys getting ready for Thanksgiving on Thursday? We finished planning our menu late last week and yesterday I shopped for the items I'm contributing: from-scratch green bean casserole (it's the best even if frying your own onions seems a bit extreme), lemon cream pie (also the best and the easiest), mashed sweet potatoes and a cheese / charcuterie board.


Every now and then I start to really crave some alone time and so after I put Bodhi down for his afternoon nap, I headed out solo, grabbed some Starbucks and made my way over to GIANT. While I was pulling into the parking lot Sleigh Ride came onto the radio (probably my favorite Christmas tune) and I sat in the car and listened to the full song. Then I grabbed a huge cart and really took my time at the store, spending God-knows-how-long picking out cheese varieties and accouterments. As I was finishing up I ran into an old co-worker and when they asked me how I was I responded "basically on vacation right now" because that tiny slice of time filled with the smallest of pleasures was something I really needed and something I was really grateful for.


A few months ago I started writing down things I was grateful for on a (nearly) daily basis; a "gratitude practice" if you will. I've done it off and on for a long time but when I became a mom something shifted and suddenly I found that I needed to do it more often. In a world that sometimes feels harsh and divided and violent and scary, I needed the constant reminder of the good -- because there is always good, even if all the news seems to talk about is sensationalized human tragedy. So today, a few days before Thanksgiving, I thought I'd share some of the things I've been grateful for over the past few months. Keep in mind that number one is always my family -- my baby boy, my husband, my immediate family, extended family, and friends that feel like family. These are just some of the smaller things that occur to me throughout the day.

always #1


-the occasional rainy day
-Glossier boy brow
-cherries
-a hot shower
-in-season peaches
-baby smiles and laughs
-extra sleep!
-hot coffee
-the changing seasons
-cozy socks
-Robert's patience (can't remember what I must have done this day 😂)
-an early shower
-October leaves
-Bodhi's nap 
-girl's night
-dark chocolate and vanilla tea
-nice strangers
-butter and honey together
-the SUN
-putting my baby to sleep at night 
-waking up to snow 

What are you grateful for this Thanksgiving? I'd love to hear because let's face it, we could all use a little more good news in our lives. :] 

No comments:

Post a Comment