Friday, July 1, 2016

Charleston, South Carolina

I mentioned last Friday that we recently spent some vacation days in Charleston, South Carolina, and as promised I'm back to share some photographs! This is a great city to vacation in and I was lucky enough to have my two favorite people with me: Robert and Brigid! We spent some time exploring the city, some time hanging by the pool and a lot of time eating at just a few of the amazing restaurants that reside in this city. And to top it all off, I got to ring-in my 30th birthday with seven layers of chocolate cake! A few photos below, if you'd like to see...


[I hate flying, but upgrading to first class and these drinks made it so much easier.]


[My husband is a major planner and researcher when it comes to vacations, and he found this gem (167 Raw Bar) while doing a restaurant search on TripAdvisor. This place is really tiny but the atmosphere and food are both awesome. We got there at 11:30 for lunch and got right in, but I hear this is not often the case! So be prepared to make it worth the wait. :]

[menu decisions]

[shrimp, oysters, crab claws + clams]

[We ordered the lobster roll and tuna burger and split them for lunch. Both were delicious, 
but I can't stop thinking about the homemade pickle.]


[On Thursday afternoon we went the tourist route and visited the Charleston Tea Plantation. It was very neat to see the tea plants (they look just like regular bushes?) but it was also hot hot hot outside. Save this trip for late in the afternoon.]

[Those things that look like bushes in the distance are tea plants, in case you didn't get that.]


[In lieu of souvenirs, I bought snacks! 
Specifically peach tea and this caramel-walnut-shortbread bar.]

[Dinner out with my girl.]

[Another Robert Backer find was R Kitchen, a sort-of restaurant, sort-of glorified kitchen where the menu is new every night and the chefs cook the food right in front of you. 
For $30 you get five courses (see ours above) and you can also order beer and wine. This is a great place to try out.]

[Everyone raved about the crab dumpling, but I personally loved the 
spinach pasta the most. So good.]

[margarita + reading by the pool] 

[If it's starting to look like all we did is eat, you would basically be correct. 
Brigid recommended The Hominy Grill for brunch, so we visited here on Saturday morning.]

[One of the cooler attributes of this restaurant is the walk-up window where you can order 
drinks while you wait. I had Mexican coffee and then this blackberry 
collins and both were great breakfast enhancers.]


["the nasty biscuit"]

[homemade rhubarb poptarts]

[shrimp + grits]

[As you can see, we were pretty happy with this place. It's the first place I would go back to.]


[I loved observing all of the gorgeous architecture, and was particularly smitten with these doors to the outside. They were everywhere and so pretty.]



[We spent a decent amount of time just wandering the streets downtown, and as 
you can see, the picturesque moments just wouldn't stop.] 




[birthday dinner shot]

[my lady]

[On our last night in Charleston we visited Halls Chophouse to celebrate my 30th birthday. And you guys -- this place. Not only was the food amazing, but the service was literally impeccable. I feel like a real snob even typing the word "impeccable" but there is just no other way to describe it. They treated us to complimentary champagne and dessert, and I just received a hand-written thank you note for spending my 30th with them. I mean, come on!]

[fried green tomatoes + thick cut bacon]

[Hands down, the best steak I have ever had. I will dream about this steak.]

[a true Bruce Bogtrotter delight]

If you're ever in the Charleston area, I would honestly recommend all of the places we visited above! I can't wait to go back. Thanks for reading this week! xoCarrie

No comments:

Post a Comment