Monday, February 15, 2016

hold my hand

A few years ago Will and I read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. Between Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Quality Time, Gifts, and Physical Touch, we both came in with Acts of Service at the top of our love language list followed closely by Quality Time (me) and Words of Affirmation (him). Since then, this knowledge has helped us to better speak each others languages and understand where the other person is coming from. 

Recently, I've been thinking about these categories and how they relate to my children. While I'm about 95% sure that Tommy's is Words of Affirmation, I'm 100% sure that Annabel's is Physical Touch. This girl takes "Mama, hold my hand" to a whole new level. No matter what we're doing, or where we're going, or what's happening around us, she almost always wants to hold my hand. 


Exhibits A through N:















I took all of these over the past five days and could have taken a whole lot more. Since Physical Touch is 4th on my list of Love Languages, it can be difficult for me to let her sit practically on top of me with her hand on my hand or rubbing my arm or hanging on to my watch or pulling on my bracelet or shoving those cold little fingers right up my sleeve. I'm the kind of person who likes to have a little bit of personal space, and I'm living with a child who seems to not need any of it. But I try to remember that this is something easy that I can do to make her feel safe and loved. So ok, Annabel, let's hold hands.

Wishing you a great start to your week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment