Friday, November 6, 2015

Spiralize!

I feel like I have recently been inundated with the idea of spiralizing veggies.  I had been reading up and really wanting to give it a try but unsure about spending $50 on a contraption that I wasn't sure I would use much.  After finding a couple magazines on my mom's coffee table with a bunch of delicious spiralized recipes in them and then finding a little handheld spiralizer at Williams Sonoma for $20, I decided to take the plunge. 





I decided to try the Butternut Squash and Apples with Lentils recipe shown on the front cover.  It looks delicious and I love butternut squash plus I was hoping to trick my husband and daughter into adding some new veggies into their diets. 



Well, I finally jumped in and tried the recipe.  I'm not even really sure how to describe it.  I started out on the wrong foot by not putting clean dishes away before starting a new project, so I was working in a too cramped environment.  I was also expecting long, noddle-like spirals and instead I got short and wide curls from the butternut squash and what I can only describe as shavings from the apple.  It all felt like a huge failure.


 I was so close to dumping it all in the garbage but I am glad that I finished it out.  My dish definitely does not look as delicious and gorgeous as the picture on the magazine cover but it tasted good and my husband tried it and actually enjoyed it!  I'll call this one a win.

If you have had success with spiralizing, please pass on your tips and tricks!!

**find the recipe in the October 2015 Vegetarian Times**
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment