Friday, May 29, 2015

Lunch Idea: Blueberry Waldorf Salad

When it comes to lunch, I have always been a "packer." Night after night I pack sandwiches & salads, leftovers & sliced fruit into Tupperware containers, stack them in the fridge, & haul it all to work the next day so that I can have a healthy and delicious meal midday. This has served me well in a number of ways (money saving & calorie control top the list); however, if you too are a packer you likely know that after awhile, the options become boring and the action a chore. 

Lately I've been on a salad kick (three months until the wedding!) and I was starting to get really bored with my usual lettuce, tomatoes, onion, avocado, chopped deli turkey & balsamic dressing. So, I turned to my book and came across this old recipe for blueberry waldorf salad. The flavor combo sounds a bit odd, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results. It's a little bit sweet and a little bit salty, light and just filling enough to tide you over until dinner. If you are in a packing rut, this is a serious recommendation!


Ingredients (One Salad):
-chopped romaine lettuce 
-blueberries (handful)
-one celery rib, chopped
-pecans (handful), chopped
-chicken (handful), chopped

Dressing (One Salad):
-1.5 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
-1 tbsp. mayonnaise
-squeeze of fresh lemon juice
-pinch of salt & pepper

[Use whatever chicken you want (great place for leftovers) or buy these Perdue Simply Smart chicken strips for convenience.]

[I paired the salad with a few rice crackers & water.]

Perfect with a quick side of perusing Instagram. ;] 

Have a wonderful weekend!
xoCarrie

No comments:

Post a Comment