Friday, April 17, 2015

Italian Bites

While I probably wouldn't tell you that Italian-style food is my favorite, I would be lying if I said I didn't love to try out different little places all the time. From inexpensive local counters to more upscale eateries with full bars, sampling white pizzas, antipastos and cannoli is one of my favorite culinary past-times. Recently, Robert and I went to two local Italian restaurants, and I thought I'd share our favorite items to order and a few photographs, for good measure. :] First up: Cork & Fork.  

Robert tried Cork & Fork out prior to taking me, but he was right: I loved it. It's a cool atmosphere with interesting drinks, delicious pizza and my one of my favorite desserts of all time. I honestly don't think you could go wrong ordering anything, but here's what we recommend:

1. Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts. [They're roasted with shallots and sherry vinegar and are just a little bit sweet. I could have eaten the whole plate myself. In fact, I pretty much did.]
2. Veal, Beef & Ricotta Meatballs. [These come in a little cast iron skillet and the sauce is delicious. Robert in particular really loves these.]
3. Aspargo Pizza. [Asparagus pizza with an egg on top. Yes, it's delicious. And it also has something called guanciale on top, apparently pork jowl. I'm not wild about eating jowl, but man is it good.]
4. Sopressata Pizza. [Again, this is Robert's favorite. It's a little spicy.]
5. La Paloma. [This might be one of my favorite drinks of all time. It includes grapefruit juice and the rim is dipped in a mix of sugar and salt. Enough said.]
6. Affogato. [Simplest dessert ever: espresso and vanilla bean ice cream.]


[#5]

[#3]

[#6]

I've written about Piatto* before [post: Little Italy] and although I do love their Spaghetti Con Vongole, I honestly prefer to order a beer and some appetizers. The restaurant is built into an old house, and I recommend sitting at the bar, or (in warmer months) sitting outside. Here are our favorite things to order:

1. Peroni. [Italian Pilsner-Style Lager. It's a pretty mild beer]
2. Calamari Fritti. [Fried squid. Squeeze the lemon and add extra salt.]
3. Pizza Salsiccia. [Pizza with Sopressata. See a pattern?]

[#2 & #3 + a caprese salad]

[#1]

And the best part of tasting all this delicious food? Getting to do it with this guy. :] Next time I'll share some local, slightly cheaper options. (I'm looking at you, Vinny's!). Have a great weekend & as always, thanks for reading! xoCarrie
*Photo Credit: LocalEats

No comments:

Post a Comment