Monday, January 5, 2015

Hello 2015!


Happy New Year! Hope you had a restful holiday season and enjoyed time with family and friends. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every minute of our Christmas celebrations and finally felt like I didn't rush anything, but instead took everything in and paid attention and was fully present. Tommy and Annabel declared this "the best Christmas ever!" and were a complete joy to watch as they unwrapped their gifts and read the note from Santa that sent them outside to find a new basketball hoop in the driveway. It was magic! (And for the record, it's really hard to put a basketball hoop together...not to mention keeping it hidden.)

We were able to spend a long weekend in PA with the younger WeThree's and a bunch of our mom's family that also gathered to celebrate. One of the highlights of our time together is always a big ping pong tournament. This year, Tommy had his own spot on a team and I got paired up with my Grama who happens to be an awesome ping pong player. We didn't win but we gave it a great effort and had a great time.

I've spent some time thinking back over 2014 and can honestly say that I'm happy to move on. I can't put my finger on why, but I have a good feeling about 2015. Maybe it's just because I like odd numbers, but regardless, I'm looking forward to the year ahead and can't wait to see what it brings.  Here are some of my aspirations for 2015:

Walk - three days a week through our beautiful neighborhood or at a local park
Celebrate - family celebrations once a month
Knit - sweaters! socks! mittens! birthday blankets!
Write - I would love to try and submit something somewhere
Organize - every room, every closet, every corner
Read - 27 books by 2016
Plant - flowers! vegetables! fruit trees!
Share - time, money, resources with others
Listen - patiently to my children and friends
Connect - make new friends, spend time with old friends
Hike - at our local state parks, somewhere on the AT, and a weekend backpacking trip
Plan/Prepare - menus/lists/etc.
Gather - for coffee or soup or dinner or pie or whatever
Enjoy - the present moment

I'm looking forward to working on each and every one of these things. One of my favorites on the list is our new family tradition of a monthly celebration. Some of them will be surprises for the kids and others will be bigger celebrations of things we already celebrate (like birthdays) but each one will be something new and exciting and something we've never done before. Since we all have summer/early Fall birthdays (June, July, August and September!) we're taking a cue from the Mad Hatter in Alice and Wonderland and celebrating our "unbirthdays" in January. We're planning to surprise Tommy and Annabel with dinner out and a trip to Color Me Mine to choose and decorate a plate/mug/dinosaur/princess/etc. There will also be singing and balloons and birthday hats and dancing and general silliness. I can't wait!

Wishing you a great start to a new year, my friends! Got any big plans?

P.s. I read Amy Poehler's new book, 'Yes, Please' and was inspired to start watching Parks and Recreation. Hilarious! Where has this show been all my life? Or at least the past six seasons? Do you watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment