Wednesday, November 26, 2014

the weekend, briefly + a pumpkin bread recipe

Last week was sort of a rough one over here. I woke up on Monday feeling under the weather, and basically felt progressively worse as the week wore on. On Tuesday evening I tried to "mind over matter it" and went to a Zumba class, only to wake up on Wednesday with a pretty hanus cough. By the time Friday finally rolled around I felt so tired and worn down that I was ecstatic that we weren't really doing much over the weekend. Between work (I'm starting a new job), wedding planning, trying to stay in shape and all the typical daily stressors, we've been so busy that I honestly couldn't even remember the last time I had stayed in bed on a Saturday past 7 A.M. So instead of packing up and running around for two days, we did some low-key work and a lot of laying around. And on Sunday, I finally got around to baking the pumpkin bread I bought the ingredients for a month ago. It was so nice to spend some time just being with that guy I'm getting ready to marry. Below are a few photos, and the pumpkin bread recipe, if you're interested!

[On Friday night we had tickets to see the comedian Ron White at the Hershey Theatre. To be perfectly honest, I had never heard of him, but Robert was really excited, and kept randomly exclaiming "they call me...tater salad." It turns out he was a charter member of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, and I have to admit, he was pretty funny (if a little raunchy). In my favorite bit, he talked about how scary geese are (such a random topic, but so true!). The photo above is just a quick shot of the theatre.]

[Robert had to work early on Saturday so I watched the food network in bed until 8:30. Somehow I managed not to spill the cheerios or the coffee you can see in this picture.]

[Just admiring the frosty window. I love this time of year.]

[On my way into work on Saturday I stopped at Starbucks for my first Earl Grey tea latte of the season. It was just as good as I remembered. In fact, I might need to buy one tomorrow, too.]

[Work. It probably doesn't sound very relaxing at all, but with the beverage above, some classical Christmas music and no one calling or e-mailing, it was pretty wonderful.]

[Italian night. On Sunday Robert and I made a delicious Italian feast, complete with mini eclairs for dessert, to eat while we watched Shark tank. I highly recommend the Simply Enjoy ravioli from your local GIANT.]

[On Sunday evening, I baked this pumpkin bread from the October, 2014 issue of Food Network Magazine. I didn't include it below, but feel free to add a handful of your favorite chocolate chips:) Enjoy!]

Ingredients:
-1 cup pumpkin puree
-1/2 cup vegetable oil
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup water
-2 eggs
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-2 1/4 cups flour
-3/4 cup granulated sugar
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
-1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
-In a bowl, stir together the pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, brown sugar, water, eggs & vanilla. 
-In a 2nd bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice & salt. 
-Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, pour into a greased, 9x5" loaf pan, and bake for ~65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.

Almost Thanksgiving! Have a lovely Holiday. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment