Monday, July 21, 2014

the best Italian Dressing

This past January, when I found out that I have Celiac Disease, I resigned myself to making everything under the sun from scratch since there's so much out there that has some form of gluten in it.  Although I've found several ready-made gluten-free products in the natural foods section of my grocery store that I absolutely love, I've really enjoyed trying to make certain things on my own at home.  A couple years ago I picked up a copy of Alana Chernila's The Homemade Pantry and although it's not a dedicated gluten-free cookbook, I can substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour and oatmeal for regular in many of the baked goods and there are several sauces and dressings that are already gluten-free.  Win! 

I started making her Italian Dressing last summer when I had fresh salad greens and radishes coming out of my garden, and seriously, it's the best Italian Dressing I've ever had.  I almost always have all of these ingredients on hand or growing somewhere around my house so it's easy to pull together in a few minutes.  I hope you'll give it a try!


Italian Dressing
Recipe by Alana Chernila in "The Homemade Pantry"

1/2 C olive oil
1/4 C white wine vinegar
1/4 C fresh lemon juice
4 TBSP chopped fresh parsley, or 4 tsp dried
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 TBSP chopped fresh basil, or 2 tsp dried
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
black pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a jar and close the lid tightly.  Shake for 10 seconds.  If using dried herbs, let sit for 15 minutes so the herbs can rehydrate.  Store in refrigerator for up to two weeks.  You'll have to shake it to re-emulsify it before serving.

Notes:  It will look like a ton of salt, but add a full teaspoon - it really pulls everything together and brings out the flavors of the herbs.  I go a little light on the red pepper flakes and garlic for my taste.  It's perfect on a salad or even on top of grilled chicken.  Enjoy!



P.s.  Happy Birthday, Robert! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment