Monday, July 14, 2014

imagining a garden

For the first time in four years, I didn't plant a garden this summer.  We moved in too late in the spring to build raised beds, set up fencing to deter deer and other critters, and plant everything I want to plant.  I did put two tomato plants and one basil plant in pots, but it's still up in the air as to whether or not I'll actually get to eat a home-grown tomato since the deer have already eaten two baby green ones directly off the plants.  It's clear that I need to do some research before jumping into gardening out here in the country (deer fencing, yes?).  So in the meantime, I'm heading to our local Farmer's Market when we're in town on a Saturday morning and making (really long) lists of things to plant in the years to come.

First, flowers.  I had started a nice little cutting garden at our old house and was sad to leave it behind.  

Echinacea
Monarda
Lycianthes
Penstemon
Baptisia
Columbine
Calendula
Gomphrena
The photos above are only a small sampling of what I hope to plant around our property in the coming years.  Also on my list are Russian Sage, Lobelia, Aster, Cosmos, Zinnia, Snapdragon, Digitalis, Nasturtium, Sweet Pea, Rudbekia, Scabiosa, Verbena, Sunflower, Four O'Clock, and Goldenrod. I have a feeling the list will only grow with time.

Next, herbs.  I've been doing some reading about uses for herbs, not only in cooking, but for teas, cold remedies, potpourri, and floral arrangements in "Your Backyard Herb Garden" by Miranda Smith.  Eventually, I'm hoping to have all of these around our property:

From "Your Backyard Herb Garden" - Bee Balm, Borage, Lemon Balm, Anise, Mint, Betony, Hyssop, Catnip, Chamomile

Chives
Lavender
Rosemary
Chervil
Also, Basil, Dill, Lemon Verbena, Oregano, Parsley, Sage, Thyme, Lemongrass, Geraniums, Violets, Rue, Feverfew, Lovage, Tansy, and Lambs Ears.

And finally, vegetables and fruits.  I'll most likely start with tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, onions, potatoes, peppers, and radishes.  Eventually though, I'd like to try growing zucchini, carrots, beans, peas, brussels sprouts, okra, eggplant, beets, spaghetti squash, asparagus, rhubarb, and pumpkins.  Something to look forward to.  Also hoping to plant bluberries, raspberries, an apple tree, and a cherry tree someday.  

Farmer's Market finds
The yard will be a constant work-in-progress for probably as many years as we live in this house, but I'm really excited to map things out and start planting.  But first, there will be many months of planning and preparation.  Lucky for me, I'm looking forward to that, too.

Happy Monday!  Wishing you a great start to your week!

P.s.  Happiest of birthdays to WeThree's favorite guy of all time - our dad!  We love you and hope you have a great day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment