Thursday, April 17, 2014

(lack of) fashion sense

One thing you may or may not know about me is that I am completely lacking in the "what to wear" department of life.  Mostly, I wear what's comfortable to me which ends up being shorts/t-shirt/flip flops in the summer and jeans/t-shirt/zip-up sweatshirt/sneakers in the winter.  These clothing combinations have been my uniform for pretty much my entire life, and although they might be acceptable for a 15 year old, I'm feeling like I may need to branch out a bit now that I'm, ahem, 31.  

But as thoughts of "growing-up" my wardrobe fill my mind, I have to laugh at the fact that I'm currently finding a lot of inspiration in the hand-me-down clothing that my two-year-old is wearing.  Recently, we brought home a big bag of clothes from a friend at church that included the cutest little play skirts.  Annabel is now the proud owner of no less than five adorable little skirts that she wears with t-shirts and either sneakers or sandals depending on what we're doing.  And you would think that since I'm the one who's dressing her, I would actually be able to put together a similarly cute skirt/shirt/shoe combination for myself.  You would think...but you'd be wrong.  I don't know what it is about me, but I'm really a very terrible shopper.  So instead of taking to the mall, I took to the always helpful Pinterest for some good ideas and further inspiration.  Here's what I found that I really like...

Image
 For better or worse, I love a good jean skirt.

Image
That orange bag and necklace makes me think of the orange couches that Will and I spotted as we were looking for furniture a couple weeks ago.  When I brought it up to the sales lady, she informed me that apparently orange is the new black.  Is this true?  Cause I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to hop on that bandwagon.  I don't think orange is my color.

Image
 This one just looks really comfortable.

Image
 Trip to the Farmer's Market, anyone?

Image
Sporty look.  I also love those shoes.

Image
 Every mountain-loving girl needs a good hiking skirt.

Image
 I actually have a skirt really similar to the one in this photo so if I can just find that cute elephant shirt, I can call it a day with this one.

Image
So pretty.

Image
Someone please tell me if jean jackets are still acceptable...I have no idea.  I'm guessing yes since it's the second one included in these photos?  Help!

I'm thinking about switching things up and making skirts and t-shirts (no, I'm never giving up my t-shirts, not ever) my new summer staple.  Hopefully I can find some comfortable and convenient (and by 'convenient' I mean something that I can wear not only while standing in one place having an adult conversation, but also while chasing two wild kids through the playground) options in the weeks to come.  

Ok, so who has fashion advice for me?  Ready, set, GO!  :)

P.s.  Annabel got over whatever was ailing her and nobody else came down with it!  Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment