Monday, March 24, 2014

Theme Week: Frozen Food

Hello and Happy Frozen Food Theme Week!  Did you know that March is Frozen Food Month?   I had no clue until my younger, more informed sister let me know.  If you've been reading here with us for any amount of time, you'll know that WeThree are totally down with celebrating food of all kinds so this week, we're taking a look at our favorite frozen foods.

Even though I really do love chopping and prepping slow food, on those nights when I just don't have time for all that, I love being able to throw in a pizza or some tater tots (I mean really, who doesn't love tater tots?!) or grab some frozen veggies to heat on the stove really quickly.  And although all of those things are good and there are some great brands out there, I'm here today to tell you about my all-time favorite frozen food:  Blake's Gluten-Free Chicken Pot Pie.  And when I say "all-time" I mean "since-my-celiac-diagnosis-when-I-had-to-start-eating-all-new-food-and-found-this-fantastic-gluten-free-chicken-pot-pie."  So basically it's been my favorite since January.  But no matter.  It's really good and that's all you need to know.  Also, I would eat this chicken pot pie even if I wasn't gluten-free.  






Comfort food at its best straight out of the oven... with no chopping.  It does take some time to bake - 45 minutes in a 375 oven or 3 minutes in a microwave followed by 35 minutes in a 375 oven - but if you plan ahead, you can throw it in, fold some laundry, put the laundry away, put away the lunch dishes that you left out earlier (am I the only one who leaves the lunch dishes until late afternoon?  Never mind, don't answer that), start the dishwasher, and maybe even read a chapter of your book or knit a few rows on your project while it cooks. I buy these most frequently at our local Kroger (find it in the Natural Foods freezer section) but Target also carries this brand.

If you've been reading here for awhile, you may remember my first attempt at making my own chicken pot pie from scratch (read it here if you missed it).  Since then, I've had easier experiences, but it sure is nice to have the option of just opening a package and throwing one in the oven.  That's what I call an easy week-night meal.  

What's your favorite frozen food?  

P.s.  Second place for me is definitely Blue Bell strawberry ice cream.  Best.  Ice cream.  Ever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment