Monday, February 17, 2014

twelve (at least)

I love to read.  Before I had kids, I'd spend hours reading on weekends and after work.  I love getting lost in the story and looking up a couple chapters later only to discover that I'm still just sitting on my couch instead of walking down a charming street in Mitford, or flying around the Quidditch Field at Hogwarts, or following coyote tracks up the mountain with Deanna, or rushing back through the wardrobe from snowy Narnia.  Although I still find time to read quite a bit post children, lately I've put down my books in favor of picking up my knitting needles.  For the year ahead, I'm hoping to read at least one book every month and am off to a smashing start. 


So far I've read "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" by Fannie Flagg, and (finally!) "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.   I've gotten started on "A Million Little Ways" by Emily P. Freeman and have "Notes From A Blue Bike" by Tsh Oxenreider waiting in the wings.  After that, I have a few more Fannie Flagg books to read (Will stocked my library with four of her books for Christmas!), and then I'm out of new books.  So I'm looking for some suggestions.  What are you currently reading that you absolutely love?  Or who's your favorite author?  Or what books have you read in the past that you couldn't stop thinking about?  I'd love some ideas for what to look for at the library!  

Some of my favorites:

Authors:  Barbara Kingsolver, Wendell Berry, Fannie Flagg, C.S. Lewis, Clyde Edgerton, and Roald Dahl.
Books:  Prodigal Summer, Jayber Crow, Walking Across Egypt, The Mitford Series (a little predictable but I love any story set in a small town), The Harry Potter Series, The Land of Narnia Series, Matilda, Can't Wait to Get to Heaven, The Witches, and Small Wonder.

Tommy and I are working our way through the Roald Dahl books and have Read "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Fantastic Mr. Fox" so far.  Although we're taking a little break from those to read through "The House at Pooh Corner" next.  I love reading with a six-year-old! 

Annabel and I found some cute rabbit books by Natalie Russell and are loving "Moon Rabbit" and "Brown Rabbit in the City" at the moment.  

What are you reading with your kids?  Hope your week gets off to a great start today!

2 comments:

  1. I have read Otto the Car book with my kids. I also like the Elmo shapes and colors book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying to read "Notes From a Blue Bike,"- let us know how it is!

    ReplyDelete