Wednesday, February 19, 2014

15-Minute Meal: Pumpkin Quesadilla

I'm not sure that my personality could be described as "organized," but I am nothing if not planned. I am almost constantly creating lists and thinking ahead, and I can't seem get to sleep at night if I haven't packed my lunch and come up with a few different ideas for what to wear the next day. The slight obsessive-ness does not stop there. Every Sunday, I make a grocery list that encompasses everything that I will consume from Sunday through Friday. It typically includes one big meal that will last two-three days, one easy meal, one meal that comes (mostly) from the natural/organic freezer section, and lunch and breakfast staples.

I have a decently large repertoire of recipes that fall into the big meal category, and I absolutely love to explore the natural/organic section of the grocery store (seriously, if you ever can't find me, that's the place to look). But I am always on the lookout for really easy meals that require very little time, very few ingredients and very little competence. 



A couple of weeks ago, while I was meal-planning (using my book), I came across this recipe for pumpkin quesadillas that I had added some time ago, but never attempted. Since it met all the easy meal requirements (time, ingredients, competence), I decided to try it and pair it with a pear salad with creamy balsamic dressing. And I was so happy with the results! These come together in mere minutes and are absolutely delicious. I have already made them three times and officially deemed them a go-to easy meal.

Ingredients:
-1 can pureed pumpkin
-1 teaspoon cumin
-2 tbsp. maple syrup (optional)
-4 oz. goat cheese
-1 cup chopped walnuts
-8 flour tortillas
-canola oil
-salt & pepper
(makes 4)

Method:
-Combine the pumpkin puree, cumin and maple syrup in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
-Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan over medium heat (non-stick works well here).
-Spread a tortilla with 1/4-1/3 cup pumpkin mixture, and then sprinkle with goat cheese and walnuts.
-Place the tortilla in the hot frying pan, and top with a second tortilla. 
-Cook for about 2 minutes, then flip. (I find it easiest to slide the quesadilla onto a plate and flip from there).
-Once golden on both sides, remove to a cutting board and slice into wedges. Serve immediately.




P.S. A list of ingredients to keep on hand for quick meals!
Recipe Source: Rachael Ray Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment