Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Deviled!: Green Goddess Edition

Deviled eggs are one of those foods that, if presented with, I absolutely cannot turn down. They have to be one of the single most perfect bites of food that exist in the world today. Did that sound extreme? Maybe it was. But really, if I am where deviled eggs are, you can expect that two (okay, three) will be eaten exclusively by me and I will be discreetly trying to come up with a way to take another. 

When we were in Carytown a few months back, I stumbled upon this book devoted entirely to deviled eggs and made the passing comment that while this looked like a very awesome book, it was just something I would never buy for myself. Luckily for me, Chelsey was paying attention and went back later to buy this as my birthday present. Within its pages you'll find literally every kind of deviled egg under the sun. And lucky for you - I am going to start a blog series called Deviled! to showcase some of the best ones. First up: Green Goddess.


Methods for boiling eggs are many and varied, but I thought I'd give you my method during this first post. I swear, the shells never stick.

-Put your eggs in a medium saucepan and cover entirely with cold water.
-Place the saucepan on the stove, turn the burner to high heat and bring the water to a boil.
-Allow to boil for about thirty seconds, cover the saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, remove from the heat and let sit for fifteen minutes.
-Drain the hot water from the saucepan and refill with very cold water. Allow eggs to cool down significantly before cracking peeling, and rinsing any leftover shell off the eggs. (*Do not refrigerate until after they are peeled!*)


Ingredients:
-1/2 avocado (ripe)
-3 tablespoons mayo
-2 tablespoons sour cream (I used Greek yogurt)
-1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
-1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon + fresh leaves, separated (I used basil instead)
-1/2 tsp. salt
-black pepper

Directions:
-Halve the boiled eggs, scoop out the yolks and place in a separate small bowl. Put the eggs whites, covered, in the refrigerator for safe keeping.
-Mash the avocado to a pulp, then add the egg yolks and continue mixing until you have a smooth texture. Add the remaining ingredients: mayo, sour cream (or yogurt), garlic, chopped tarragon (or basil) and salt. Mix again until smooth.
-For neat filling results, put the filling into a pastry bag or plastic sandwich bag and pipe into the egg white shells. Alternatively, fill with a spoon. Top with the fresh herb leaves and a grind of sea salt and black pepper. Makes 24.





Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. They look great. Now try Julia Child's bruchetta. You won't be sorry!

    ReplyDelete