Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Overnight Oats

Overnight Oats is definitely not a new phenomenon, but I just tried it for the first time the other week and  immediately wondered why I didn't try it the first time I saw it on the internet - sometime over a year ago. Simply put, it's just cold oatmeal. Some of you are probably grimacing at the thought of cold, lumpy oatmeal - what your bowl looks like when you didn't finish all of your hot oatmeal breakfast and left it to sit by the sink for the day. But stop grimacing! Something different happens when you soak the oats overnight - they become soft and creamy, and are absolutely delicious when topped with fresh berries. I'm not kidding you people, this is really good stuff.


If you google 'Overnight Oats' you will, I promise, come up with a really large amount of recipes. There are a lot of ways to do this - I have seen people use yogurt, a banana, fresh herbs - but I like mine to be simple; as good plain as they are topped with fresh fruit. I've linked to two other recipes at the bottom of the page so use whichever sounds best to you and jump on the bandwagon! (P.S. - it's healthy too!)

Ingredients:
-1/3 cup of oats
-scant 1 cup almond milk (or your choice of milk)
-1 tablespoon chia seeds, or chia seed mix
-drop of vanilla
-pinch of cinnamon

Directions:
-In an airtight container (I use glass tupperware) combine all of the above ingredients and stir.
-Put the lid on tight, place in the refrigerator and leave overnight.
-In the morning, chop some fruit (or don't), drizzle with agave nectar or maple syrup (or don't) and enjoy!





Seriously delicious!

P.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment