Thursday, October 4, 2012

In training

I had grand plans to start my training plan for my upcoming races this week but after battling the stomach flu plus an upper respiratory infection, my plans did not necessarily work out.  I'm hoping to be ready to start running again this weekend.  We'll see how that goes. 

I thought that maybe I would share my training plans and the races that I'm planning to run here so that I have a little accountability to keep up with my plans. :o)

First up is the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day.  Have you ever run a Turkey Trot?  I know they are run all over the place and they are typically really fun little 5K's to run.  So, I have about 7 weeks to train for this little race.  My plan is to start this weekend and run 1/2 mile several times this week then add 1/2 mile to my distance each week until I am running 3 miles at a time.  I think this should be a quick and easy way to build up my mileage. 

My second race is a 10K in Richmond in mid-April.  I have never run more than a 5K but I did participate in a triathlon so I'm confident that with the right training I can run the 10K.  I don't have a training plan in place for the 10K yet but I am hoping to join a gym so that I can continue to run through the winter and be running 6+ miles by the time April rolls around. 

My third race will be the triathlon that I participated in a couple years ago.  It is a sprint triathlon and I used a 12 week training program to get ready for this race last time.  I'm hoping to use the same training plan again because it really worked well for me before.  My goal for this race is to run the whole 5K at the end.  Last time I participated in this event I wasn't able to run all 3 miles. 

Finally, I want to run a half marathon sometime after the tri.  I would love to do the Philly half which is in September but I don't know that I can be ready for that following the tri in August.  Any suggestions?  Have you ever run a half marathon?  I attended the Philly half a few years ago to cheer on some friends who were running and it was so emotional to watch everyone cross the finish line.  I can't wait to feel that awesome feeling someday for myself!

I hope that I will be able to accomplish all of these goals.  If you have any advice for my training, I'd love to hear it.  I'll keep you updated on how I'm doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment