Monday, November 11, 2013

Sunday walk













I think it's safe to say that I've spent a fair amount of time in the woods (as evidenced here, here, here, and here).  Walking in the woods is easily my favorite thing to do no matter the time of year.  I love walking in the spring and seeing the early blooming dogwoods and forsythia and redbuds.  I love walking in the summer when the birds are noisily taking care of their families and the trees are covered in bright green leaves.  I love walking in the fall when the orange and red and yellow leaves are swirling down from the treetops and their already-fallen comrades are loudly crunching under foot.  I love walking in the winter when the sun is low in the sky and the woods are silent and snow-covered and magic.  I love it all.  

Being in the woods has always been...a time of renewal for me.  I don't really know how to explain it.  Maybe it's too personal to try and share, but I find I do some of my best "be quiet" in the woods even with children swirling around me.  I really need to try and spend more time amongst the trees.

Since most of the hiking I've done in my life has had an end destination, these days it's nice to be able to slowly wander and meander wherever the wind blows me.  On Saturday, late in the afternoon, the kids and I ventured into the woods behind our temporary home and spent quite awhile jumping on a fallen tree, climbing on logs, picking up sticks, smacking sticks on trees, and watching the trees sway in the breeze.  Since Will was on a retreat and missed our adventures, we decided to take a Sunday walk as well.  I'm so thankful that my family loves spending time in the woods just as much as I do.  

And soon, we'll have three acres of grass and trees right outside our very own home.  Can't wait.

Home sweet home.  Soon.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment