Tuesday, September 10, 2013

On Being a Band Geek

There is a certain moment each year when I walk outside and am immediately brought back to my high schools days.  That moment is usually somewhere in early to mid-September when the evening air starts to cool off and the smells of fall first start to emerge.  It's amazing what that crisp evening air can do to ones memory. 

I remember those days like they were yesterday. The tap-tapping of the drums.  The whistle.  The march down to the practice field.  The nerves and excitement that came with every performance.  It all comes rushing back.  Oh, and that's not all.  The football games and fight songs that I could probably still play today.  The hot chocolate on cold Friday nights.  The friendships that lasted through college and all the ups and downs of life.  

You could call me a band geek if you wanted to.  My husband would.  
I was in the marching band for all 4 years of high school, playing the trombone.  My sisters were both in the band for all four years of high school, too. 

The movie Drumline tried to depict what it's like to join a marching band as a freshman in college.  They did okay but I'm not sure they really hit the nail on the head.  And, I think the movie Pitch Perfect depicted the eccentric group of people that may make up a typical marching band.

We (my mom, Carrie and I) took Sommer over to hear the Carlisle High School marching band practice during their band camp a couple weeks ago.  It was so cute to watch her dancing to the music, she was loving it!


posing & dancing & dancing
I watched this sunset on many, many occasions during my four years in band. 

conducting

My suggestion is to go HERE and watch my favorite show of all time.  Seriously.  It still gives me chills when I watch it.

PS: When you go watch that video ^ look for Chelsey - she was a drum major :)  
PPS:  Are/were you a band geek?!

1 comment: