Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cookie-for-One

On most good nights, I can satiate any after-dinner craving with a mug of plain hot water. If you are sitting there thinking that I sound like I’m about ninety, I might actually agree with you. Regardless, hot water is good for your skin, is satisfyingly filling, and doesn’t cause food regret the next day.


That being said, there are, of course, nights when my hot water habit just doesn’t do the trick. And since I never (okay, very rarely) buy sweets, but always have baking materials on hand, this individually-sized cookie recipe is just the trick.

I’ve actually tried a couple different versions of cookie-for-one recipes (including one absolutely disgusting microwave version) but none of them compare to this one. The cookies bake up huge (huge!) and have crispy edges with a chewy, gungy center.

Ingredients:
-2 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
-1 tablespoon granulated sugar
-pinch of salt
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 egg yolk
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
-chocolate chips/nuts (I used slivered almonds) to your liking

Directions:
-Pre-heat your oven to 350◦. Grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
-Melt the butter in the microwave until it is just beginning to soften and run. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and vanilla extract to the butter and stir to combine.
-Separate the yolk from the egg white, and add it to the bowl. Stir to combine.
-Finally, stir in the baking soda and flour. Fold in your chocolate and nuts (if using), form the dough into two balls and place on your cookie sheet. Bake from 8-12 minutes (I needed twelve), tapping the baking sheet lightly against the stove as you remove. Cool for 10 minutes.





I should note that if I were to re-name these cookies I would probably call them "Cookie-for-Two" or "Cookie-for-One for Two Nights." Seriously, look at the size of these things!

Enjoy! 

Recipe via no. 2 pencil

No comments:

Post a Comment