Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Theme Week: Giving Thanks

Well, I decided I couldn't pick just one thing to write about being thankful for and so here is a list of five (not in any particular order). I could go on and on and on!

Number 5: My Job

While I can’t necessarily say that I am working my dream job, I cannot tell you how lucky I feel to be working and feeling productive. I went through a period a couple years ago where I really hated my job. I dreaded getting up in the morning and it really exacerbated any other problem I was experiencing at the time. Our family friend Cathy kept telling me that I needed to stop looking so hard – that when you’re just open to something it will come to you. I have a hard time following this type of advice. But eventually I had to make a change, and so I quit my job, enrolled in an education program and just needed something temporary to get me through the two-year program.  And just like that, I found a temp job that turned into a full-time job that I then had to quit to finish my teaching program. And when that ended, I got the job back, just like that. The stability that this has provided is something I really needed and am very grateful for.


Number 4: My Friends

While I wouldn't say that I have a ton of close friends, the ones that I do have are pretty special. How many people can say that they have friends who:

-Text you to let you know Britney Spears is looking like a hot mess on the X Factor (okay, that wasn't very Thanksgiving-y)
-Sit up talking to you until midnight when they are pregnant and undoubtedly exhausted
-Cry watching Mr. Holland’s Opus
-Agree that the Skyview is hands down the scariest thing you can ride at Hershey Park
-Go on the Skyview anyway, and sit panicked in fear for the duration of the ride

Well, I can! And I am very thankful for them. :)

Number 3: Cooking and Baking

No, I am not kidding here. I really love to cook and it brings me a lot of joy. Reading a cookbook before bed is the ultimate relaxation for me, and the perfect Sunday includes grocery shopping and making something delicious and (at least marginally) healthy. I am thankful that I found this hobby!


 Number 2: My Bed

I’m sorry, I know this isn't very deep. But when I sat down this evening to think about things I was really, truly thankful for, my comfortable, warm bed was the first thing that popped into my head. Scott often laments the fact that I can fall asleep within a minute of laying down (it’s true), and I think I owe this largely to our pillow top mattress, multiple pillows (six) and warm, fluffy down comforter. On days when I am feeling unjustly sorry for myself, the thought of being able to get back in that bed gets me out of it. 



Number 1: My Family

This includes everyone – immediate and extended. I don’t remember who said it, but one Christmas someone in my family exclaimed “How rare is it for people to like each other as much as we do?” I am not sure how rare it is, but I do know I really am lucky to be surrounded by such a diverse, loving and entertaining group of people. There really isn't anyone else I would rather spend my time with.





Let me add that we are also very thankful for those of you reading our little blog. I know we are all having a lot of fun writing, sharing and just having a creative outlet. :)

From our family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment