Thursday, September 20, 2012

Between-Season Dressing

The shift from summer to fall and winter to spring always brings about a bit of a wardrobe conundrum – how do you dress for those awkward days between seasons when it’s not quite cold but not quite warm?

I had a favorite “winter” outfit in high school. The ensemble consisted of flared jeans, a white button down shirt, a black V-neck sweater and black booties (that happened to be way ahead of their time…just not paired with the aforementioned outfit).  I have a distinct memory of wearing this outfit on a day in late March when the morning was COLD, but by about 10:00 AM it was WARM. Perhaps I have burned this into my memory because I felt hot, sweaty and over-dressed the entire day, as classmates filtered around me in their jeans, hoodies and sigh flip flops. I am pretty sure that I have made it a point to check the weather in the morning ever since.

Lately I have been feeling this same issue as the mornings prove chilly, but come 5:00 PM my car feels like an easy-bake oven. That being said, after years of practice I think I have finally nailed down the perfect between-season combo: cropped pants, a light sweater and sockless shoes. Here are some of my favorites:




You can shop all of these great looks at J.Crew! I am particularly in love with the Saturday pants (on sale here) and the the French Hen sweater. :) Do you have a go-to between-season outfit?

All clothing images from jcrew.com
Cartoon image here.

No comments:

Post a Comment