Thursday, August 9, 2012

in progress

Taking a break from the kitchen challenge posts to show you what I'm doing in my spare time these days...

Although I'd like to say that I've been working on this project for weeks, it's actually been several months since I cast on for this nesting squares blanket for Annabel.  The pattern is from More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson, a book that I love and wish I had more time to work from.  I've been working on it here and there, knitting a few stitches or a whole row when I can steal a few minutes during the day.  After the kids are in bed, I usually do two or three rows depending on what else I've got going on.  This is supposed to be a birthday gift for my sweet girl, but it'll be a stretch for me to get it done in time for her special day which is coming up on the 18th since I still have two more colors (pink!) to add.  We'll see.


About a week ago, I did something I never thought I'd do......I bought an ibook.  When I went to be bookstore last week to look for The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball, they were out of it.  I thought about ordering it or looking for it somewhere else, but then I remembered that I had just put some money on my apple account and decided to go for it.  It's definitely not my favorite way to read.  Swiping a finger across the screen isn't the same as turning a page, and I miss holding the actual book in my hands, but it's easy to read a few pages while I'm riding in the car (as a passenger!) or while waiting during Tommy's karate lessons.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through, and I am loving this book that was recommended to me by a good friend.  If you've ever spent time daydreaming about owning a farm, or if you've ever wondered what farm life is like, this is a must read.

Another book I'm slowly making my way through is The Urban Homestead by Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen (also a recommendation!).  It's giving me so many great ideas for expanding our backyard garden.  I'm also considering cutting down the stupid Bradford pear tree in our front yard (that's already lost a bunch of limbs in the recent storms) and putting in a big patch of corn and wheat.  Think the neighbors will approve?!  I so love this book...it had me at, "Unleash the homesteader within."



 

Around here, reading happens the same way as knitting - a little at a time.  A few pages here, a few pages there, whenever time allows.  I'll let you know if I get the blanket done in time for my sweet girl's birthday.  

What projects are you working on these days?  Any good books for me to add to my list?  Hope you have a great Thursday! 


Photo of The Dirty Life here.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Chelsey! I went to Cottey with Dana and it's been fun keeping up with her over the years. Once, at Cottey, Dana said 'you remind me of my sister Chelsey' and now I see why- we have so many similar tastes! Loving all the wethree posts from you gals. If you ever need a mountain getaway, I'm over in Lexington...not to far from you I imagine. Mi casa es su casa (or whatever...I'm rusty on my Spanish). Of course, my doors open to any wethree ladies :)

    Checking out those books you recommended now.

    ReplyDelete