Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fit for a Princess

A little over a year ago, Matt and I found out that we would be having a little girl come December 2011.  We were so excited and started buying little pink things here and there.  Our first purchase for her was actually a little pink winter Phillies hat that still does not fit Sommer's head!  I, of course could not wait to make the nursery just right for my little girl.  If you know me at all, you know that I love all things whimsical and pretty and this is what I want to instill in my daughter as well...
So, off I went to the internet to gather ideas to create the most perfect room for my little Sommer.  I decided that I wanted a white tree to adorn the wall behind her crib and after making that decision things started to easily fall into place.  We had painted the room gray prior to me being pregnant and I thought the light gray walls would work perfectly with white furniture and pretty pink and green accents. 

The cloud mobile was made by me with some plain white cotton fabric cut into clouds and sewn together and then stuffed.  We hung five of them on several dowel rods. 

Sommer's quilt and pillow were made by my Gramma and are perfect in her whimsical room.  The quilt is big enough to be on her bed when she grows into a toddler bed and I'm sure will be a cherished item as she grows up. 

The changing table is a bookshelf from Ikea turned on its side with drawers and doors added to the middle shelves.  We added a hint of green with the polka dot changing pad cover (from Target).

                     One of my favorite parts of the nursery is the wall above the changing table.
Isn't this so neat?  Carrie painted the elephant and the birds.  The rest of the frames are filled with pretty scrapbook paper. 

This dresser came from my Nanny's house in Massachusetts and we painted it white to match the rest of the furniture in the room.  We added a little polka dot piggy bank and a whimsical lamp shade.  The curtain pictured here was made by my Gramma and she also made the valences for the windows!

I love that Sommer's room has so many homemade pieces in it as this just adds little pieces of character that you won't find anywhere else.
I found quite a bit of my inspiration here and if you are expecting a baby I highly recommend checking that site out!



No comments:

Post a Comment