Monday, July 23, 2012

in the city

I never imagined myself living in a city.  Not even for a minute.  Ever.  More than anything, I love being in the mountains. I love looking at mountains, I love walking up mountains, I love the view from a mountain. Love it. A lot. But here I am, living in a city. While I do think we are meant to be here for now, I hope someday we will have an opportunity to live closer to the mountains.

Since we are in the city for now, I've been trying to find a few places in town where I can find some peace - places that make me forget about the traffic and the lack of sidewalks and the concrete. Recently, I found one. I've been driving by it for two years now, ever since we moved into our house. Even though I've passed it probably a hundred times, I just recently pulled in to check it out. And let me tell you, it was heaven.


You pull off the busy busy road into a field, drive a little way through the grass, and park in front of an old wooden table with a mailbox, some clippers, and a sign that says "Sunflowers 3 for $1.00." So you put your money in the slot in the mailbox, pick a pair of clippers, and wander through the flowers.


Once you get in amongst the yellow and green, the sound of traffic fades away and it's just you and the buzzing bees. Heaven.

Last week, for my birthday, we decided to go out for giant smoothies. On the way back, Will turned into the field and handed me a dollar. Love him.


Tommy put the money in while I picked a pair of clippers.


It was a great birthday present.


Sunflowers are my favorite. Hope you have a great start to your week! Where do you go to find peace where you live?

P.s. I'll be posting a picture of my big birthday present on Photo Friday. I get to pick it up on Thursday!

3 comments:

  1. I love how Will remembers the little things! So sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we go to the sunflowers this weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appropriately enough, I love to escape to the mountains as well. Lake Dillon is one of my favorite places in Colorado but sadly, it takes about 3 hours to get there. We haven't ventured up there since Genevieve was born. There is something so peaceful about being up in the mountains. I hope you get to live closer to the mountains in the future!

    ReplyDelete